With a much-improved performance required after last week’s drab 0-0 draw, Cranleigh entertained Chesworth Rovers this week at home.

Chesworth kicked off the first half, and the blue and whites were at them right from the off showing their intent, a break down the left-hand side by Raul with a quality cross was just sent wide with a header from Oscar, with Chesworth being penned into their own half again fantastic play by Raul beat the keeper and hit the back of the net, although it was disallowed as the ball had gone out of play, much to the disappointment of the Cranleigh number 22. This made Chesworth sit up and take note they were in a game, and with a break down the right-hand side by Chesworth, the defence had to be on their game. An effort from Elliott from 27 yards was blocked well by Rovers and it was at this point Cranleigh started to assert their authority. The move of the match was started off in the Cranleigh defence, Elliott played the ball to Oliver, who put Raul through down the left, a cross from Raul was flicked on by Rylan and finished off by Gwilym 1-0 to Cranleigh. Further great play by Cranleigh, Oscar played Rylan through, but with the touch of his dad, he wasted his chance. Two consecutive corners from Cranleigh saw Elliott put two headers wide. The Rovers number 11 was causing more problems down the right side of the blues defence and another last-ditch tackle from Harrison eased the nerves on the touchline, With Arthur sending a shot wide via a deflection, Elliott again rose at the corner, with the effort on target was saved well by the Rovers keeper, that was followed by a deep cross from Raul and a diving header from Gwilym which was sent just wide. An attack by Rovers on the left made Jake save well down to his right and it was 1-0 at the break.

Into the second half and Cranleigh knew if they were going to get all 3 points they would have to focus, and play the ball faster, 8 minutes into the second half Cranleigh weren’t letting Rovers escape their own half, and when the ball broke free to Oliver all of 28 yards out he hit a ferocious shot into the top corner of the Rovers net, WOW! What a strike! A dejected Rovers side were refusing to give up, but within a few minutes Gwilym sent Arthur through to slot in under the keeper to make it 3-0 to the home side. Cranleigh with their tails up were not finished there, and with two first class saves from the Rovers keeper the third effort he could do nothing about as Raul smashed the ball into the left-hand side of the Rovers net to make it 4. Fruitless attacks by Rovers were being well martialled by Harrison and Elliott, great covering play by the midfield was to earn the blues the win, in the last few minutes Rovers did break clear however, and with a one on one with the Cranleigh keeper, Jake again saved well putting the shot onto the post and collecting the rebound, with the final whistle blowing, he ensured his second consecutive clean sheet, something that makes it all worthwhile as the blues celebrated the 3 points. Full time 4-0 Cranleigh


Man of the Match  – Raul

Report – Alan Lightfoot